Smoking suspected in fatal Parkdale fire
Firefighters on scene at a fire on Sorauren Avenue Sunday, December 23, 2012
Joshua Freeman, cp24.com
Published Monday, December 24, 2012 8:11AM EST
A woman in her 50’s was killed in a fire in Parkdale Sunday night.
Fire crews responded to the blaze on the second floor of a duplex on Sorauren Avenue south of Dundas Street West around 10 p.m.
Inside, they found the body of a woman.
“There was a smoke alarm in the suite, but the batteries had been removed unfortunately,” Fire Chief Debbie Higgins told CP24 at the scene. “It wasn’t a big fire and it was put out quickly, but unfortunately the woman is deceased.”
Higgins said it appears the fire may have been caused by smoker’s material.
No one else was injured in the fire.