Ten most stolen vehicles in Ontario are all pricey SUVs
A 2014 Toyota 4Runner is shown in this undated image. (Wikimedia Commons)
Chris Herhalt, CP24.com
Published Tuesday, December 6, 2016 10:45AM EST
Last Updated Tuesday, December 6, 2016 11:01AM EST
Two model years of the Toyota 4Runner SUV occupy the top two spots in the Insurance Bureau of Canada’s annual most stolen list, and all ten vehicles on the list are full-size or luxury SUVs.
The Bureau says the list, which includes a 2003 Hummer H2 in third spot, a 2002 Cadillac Escalade in sixth, and a 2011 Land Rover Range Rover Sport in eighth, suggests thieves and the criminal infrastructure that supports them are on the hunt for luxury SUVs to smuggle overseas.
The 2014 and 2015 Toyota 4Runners top the list. The 2015 edition of the vehicle sold in Canada for $39,060 plus tax.
Just last month, police in Vaughan disrupted an auto theft ring where thieves stole cars left running in driveways in apparent “warm up thefts.”
Twenty-three people were arrested in relation to the theft of 60 vehicles. The vehicles were tampered with and resold, or allegedly rented out to other people engaging in criminal activity.
Auto theft is up six per cent nationally and five per cent in Ontario the IBC says.
The IBC’s top ten most-stolen cars in Ontario for 2016:
1. 2015 Toyota 4Runner 4-door 4WD SUV
2. 2014 Toyota 4Runner 4-door 4WD SUV
3. 2003 Hummer H2 4-door AWD SUV
4. 2003 Chevrolet Tahoe 4WD and 2003 GMC Yukon 4WD SUVs
5. 2015 Lexus RX350/RX450h 4-door AWD SUVs
6. 2002 Cadillac Escalade 4-door 4WD SUV
7. 2015 Acura MDX 4-door 4WD SUV
8. 2011 Range Rover Sport 4-door 4WD SUV
9. 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe 4WD and 2004 GMC Yukon 4WD SUVs
10. 2005 Chevrolet Suburban 4WD and 2005 GMC Yukon XL 1500 4WD SUVs