Trick-or-treater finds Dayquil inside Smarties box
Published Thursday, November 6, 2008 12:58PM EST
Durham Regional Police are advising parents to check their children's Halloween candy after a Dayquil capsule was found inside a sealed box of Smarties.
A Grade 5 student found the cold-and-flu capsule inside the candy box after trick or treating in the Brock Road and Finch Avenue area of Pickering. The girl opened the box while at school and reported the pill's discovery to her teacher.
Her father told CP24 he checked her candy after they returned from trick-or-treating, but didn't think they'd find something dangerous in a sealed box. He has since provided police with a map of the streets they visited on Halloween.
There have been two other reports of similar incidents, but they have not yet been confirmed.
Police will now try to find out whether the source of contamination came from someone handing out candy or at the production source, a Nestle factory near Lansdowne and Dundas Streets.
A spokesperson for Nestle told CP24 that production has not stopped at the facility and an internal investigation is underway.
The company's official statement emphasized the safety procedures in place at the plant.
"We are aware of the police investigation on a cold remedy capsule reported to be found by a consumer in a junior Smarties package given out at Halloween. At Nestl� safety is our highest priority so we take these matters very seriously.
"To this end, we are actively working with the police who are leading this investigation. We take this opportunity to remind parents to always check Halloween candy thoroughly as a precaution."
Dayquil's effects can include stimulation of the central nervous system, insomnia, anxiety, irritability and restlessness. Parents are advised to call their doctor or poison control if they believe their child has ingested the drug.
Investigators are asking anyone with information to contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.