Calif. boy, 2, dies after drinking cleaning solution
The Associated Press
Published Tuesday, February 5, 2013 5:20AM EST
MERCED, Calif. - Merced County officials say a two-year-old boy has died after his grandmother gave him what she thought was a bottle of water to drink, but the bottle actually contained a cleaning solution.
Sheriff's Deputy Tom MacKenzie, a department spokesman, told the Merced Sun-Star when the boy became thirsty while playing at his grandparents shop Friday afternoon, the grandmother gave him water from a bottle she found on the floorboard of her husband's truck.
When the boy -- identified as Jack Shearer -- started choking, his grandfather realized the boy had ingested a caustic cleaner used to clean aluminum rims.
After the boy's grandfather drove the child to a hospital in Merced, the child was taken to a second hospital in Madera, where he was pronounced dead.
MacKenzie says detectives believe the incident was nothing more than a tragic accident.
No charges are expected to be filed.