Judicial pre-trial scheduled in Jacob Hoggard sexual assault case
The Associated Press
Published Thursday, January 19, 2023 11:47AM EST
Last Updated Thursday, January 19, 2023 11:47AM EST
A judicial pre-trial has been scheduled in a northeastern court in the sexual assault case of Canadian musician Jacob Hoggard.
The pre-trial, which allows Crown and defence attorneys to seek the judge's input on issues related to the case, is set for Feb. 17 in Haileybury, Ont.
A Crown attorney and Hoggard's defence lawyer made a brief appearance before a trial scheduling court on Thursday to set that date.
The Hedley frontman is facing a sexual assault charge for an incident alleged to have happened on June 25, 2016, in Kirkland Lake, Ont.
Hoggard was originally charged in March with sexual assault causing bodily harm, but prosecutors later said they would proceed instead with a lesser charge of sexual assault.
Last month, his lawyer said Hoggard had elected to be tried in Superior Court of Justice before a jury, rather than by judge alone.
Hoggard was granted bail in a separate case in October after launching an appeal of his five-year sentence for sexually assaulting an Ottawa woman.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 19, 2023.
More Celebrity News
- 'Rick and Morty' creator has domestic abuse charges dropped
- Prince William visits Poland to support ally helping Ukraine
- Gwyneth Paltrow's lawyer calls Utah ski collision story 'BS'
- Adam Sandler receives Mark Twain Prize for lifetime in comedy
- Lance Reddick, 'The Wire' and 'John Wick' star, dies at 60
Top Entertainment News
- Mexican kid's comic Xavier López, 'Chabelo,' dies at 88
- Protests erupt in NYC - not for Trump but for 'The Joker'
- Nicholas Lloyd Webber, son of famed composer, dies at 43
- Q&A: Nobel Peace Prize laureate Maria Ressa on democracy and disinformation
- Darcelle, world's oldest working drag queen, dies at 92