Judicial pre-trial scheduled in Jacob Hoggard sexual assault case
The Associated Press
Published Thursday, January 19, 2023 11:47AM EST
Last Updated Thursday, January 19, 2023 11:47AM EST
A judicial pre-trial has been scheduled in a northeastern court in the sexual assault case of Canadian musician Jacob Hoggard.
The pre-trial, which allows Crown and defence attorneys to seek the judge's input on issues related to the case, is set for Feb. 17 in Haileybury, Ont.
A Crown attorney and Hoggard's defence lawyer made a brief appearance before a trial scheduling court on Thursday to set that date.
The Hedley frontman is facing a sexual assault charge for an incident alleged to have happened on June 25, 2016, in Kirkland Lake, Ont.
Hoggard was originally charged in March with sexual assault causing bodily harm, but prosecutors later said they would proceed instead with a lesser charge of sexual assault.
Last month, his lawyer said Hoggard had elected to be tried in Superior Court of Justice before a jury, rather than by judge alone.
Hoggard was granted bail in a separate case in October after launching an appeal of his five-year sentence for sexually assaulting an Ottawa woman.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 19, 2023.
More Celebrity News
- Gwyneth Paltrow's trial over Utah ski collision begins
- Adam Sandler receives Mark Twain Prize for lifetime in comedy
- Lance Reddick, 'The Wire' and 'John Wick' star, dies at 60
- Prince Harry sues tabloid for defamation over security story
- Broadway production of Emma Donoghue's 'Room' cancelled after producer pulls out
Top Entertainment News
- Jury convicts 3 of murder in death of rapper XXXTentacion
- Anthony Fauci documentary on PBS covers a career of crises
- 'Shazam! Fury of the Gods' stumbles with $30.5 million debut
- Actor Simu Liu flirts with possible album after singing again at Juno Awards
- Taylor Swift travels through time during opening night of the 'Eras Tour'