Fire breaks out at historic Cabbagetown hotel
Web Staff, cp24.com
Published Wednesday, August 26, 2009 10:42PM EDT
Firefighters battled a two-alarm blaze that broke out at the Winchester Hotel, a Cabbagetown landmark, on Wednesday night.
District Fire Chief Les Trempe says the fire was likely caused by smouldering material left by a roofer who was working on the premises earlier in the day.
Parliament Street, between Carlton and Wellesley Streets, was closed while firefighters battled the blaze, which broke out at about 9:30 p.m. and was extinguished in about an hour.
The hotel is located on Parliament Street, and has a Tim Hortons location in its ground floor.
Viewer Von Carla Pilapil sent in this video of the fire to My Breaking News.