Niagara

Ontario man charged with making child sexual abuse material, sexual assault, police say

Published: 

A Niagara Regional Police Service sign is shown in St. Catharines, Ont., Friday, March 15, 2024. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Aaron Lynett

Niagara Regional Police say a 71-year-old Peterborough man has been charged with making and possessing child sexual abuse material and investigators are concerned that there may be unidentified victims in other parts of the province.

An investigation was launched in April 2026 by the Niagara Regional Police Service’s Internet Child Exploitation Unit and detectives with the Child Abuse Unit were later enlisted to assist in the case.

A male suspect was subsequently identified, police said, and on May 21, 2026, officers arrested 71-year-old Gordon Gould.

Gould has been charged with two counts of making child sexual abuse and exploitation material, three counts of sexual assault, three counts of sexual interference, two counts of invitation to sexual touching, and three counts of exposing genitals to a person under 16 years.

The accused, police said, resided in the St. Catharines area between 2015 and 2020. He also previously lived in Sudbury, Etobicoke, and other parts of Ontario, according to investigators.

“Detectives believe that there may be more victims historically that have not come forward,” Niagara Regional Police said in a news release issued Friday.

“Detectives are asking for anyone with information related to this incident, or for anyone who has had contact with Gould in the past to contact the Niagara Regional Police Service’s Sexual Assault Unit at 905-688-4111, option 3, extension 1009336.”

Police noted that members of the public can also contact Crime Stoppers anonymously by calling 1-800-222-8477.