Toronto

Toronto man accused of keeping entire $1-million lottery jackpot that should have been split with group

Published: 

A Toronto senior is facing charges after police say they claimed a $1-million Lotto Max ticket that should have been split with a group for themself.

A 70-year-old Toronto man is facing charges after police say he claimed a $1-million Lotto Max ticket for himself instead of splitting the winnings with the rest of their group.

In a news release issued by Ontario Provincial Police on Tuesday, investigators said the suspect claimed the winning Lotto Max Free Play ticket with Encore on July 2, 2025 and was paid out by the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation.

However, they said the OLG’s forensic investigation unit later received claims suggesting the winnings may have come from a “group play arrangement” and officials with the OPP’s investigation and enforcement bureau (IEB), a part of the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO), began investigating in September.

Following their investigation, the OPP said it was confirmed that the ticket was part of a group arrangement and that the $1-million prize should have been split among three individuals, not a single person.

As a result, Alex Parucha was arrested and charged with theft and fraud over $5,000, as well as possession of property obtained by crime.

Parucha was released from custody and is next scheduled to appear in court on Jan. 8.

According to an Aug. 12 OLG news release announcing Parucha’s win, the ticket matched all seven Encore numbers in the exact order in the May 20, 2025, draw.

He had been playing the lottery for nearly 30 years, typically buying a ticket once a week, the release said. Parucha told OLG that he was in “disbelief” when he won, saying, “When I realized it was $1 million prize, I was overwhelmed.”

The release said Parucha later shared the news with his son and daughter.

“With his windfall, Alex plans to buy property, share with family and add to his savings,” the release stated.

In a statement to CTV News Toronto, a spokesperson for the OLG said it has a “robust process with many levels of scrutiny and transparency” in the prize claim process.

“After reviewing claims suggesting lottery winnings paid to a claimant may have resulted from a group play, OLG’s Forensic Investigation Unit referred the case to the Ontario Provincial Police Investigation and Enforcement Bureau, and an investigation was launched, and charges were laid,” OLG spokesperson Tony Bitonti said.

Parucha’s lawyer told CTV News that he “categorically denies” all of the allegations and charges laid against him and maintains that he did “nothing wrong.

His legal counsel went on to say that the dispute over the winnings involves “complex facts” that will be addressed in court.

Police are asking anyone with information about the alleged fraud to contact the OPP at 1-888-310-1122 or Crime Stoppers anonymously.

With files from Adrian Ghobrial