A Toronto-based construction and infrastructure company has been fined $175,000 in connection with the death of a worker in King City two years ago.
The incident happened on King Road, between Jane and Keele streets, on July 30, 2024.
According to a court bulletin from the Ontario Ministry of Labour, Aecon Utilities was installing a new underground utility service at a property.
“Excavation work was conducted to expose an existing pipeline, and a trench shoring box system had been installed to support the walls of the excavation,” it read.
The bulletin stated that as a worker was inside the trench, weather conditions deteriorated .
“Rainwater mixed with silt and soil entered the trench, forming a slurry that accumulated rapidly. The worker became trapped in the slurry and was fatally injured by the rapidly rising water,” it read.
The ministry said its investigation found that the amount of rainfall and sediment entering the excavation made it impossible to safely “dewater” the trench.
“Continuing to use equipment in those conditions endangered the worker,” the ministry said, concluding that Aecon failed to ensure the equipment was not used during that time.
Aecon Utilities pleaded guilty earlier this year at a Newmarket court, and the judge issued a $175,000 fine as well as a 25 per cent victim fine surcharge.


