Toronto

Doug Ford says Ontario can’t let Donald Trump ‘control our data’

Published: 

Doug Ford at a press conference in Guelph, Ont. on Aug. 13, 2026. (CTV News Kitchener)

Premier Doug Ford says that failing to build data centres in Ontario risks “Canadians’ data being sent to the U.S. and into the hands of (U.S.) President (Donald) Trump.”

Ford made the comment during a speech to delegates at the Association of Municipalities of Ontario convention in Ottawa on Monday.

The comments come in the wake of Oakville imposing a one-year moratoriums on new data centres. A similar moratorium is also set to be considered by Mississauga City Council next month.

“That would be the worst thing we could ever do, let President Trump control our data,” Ford said on Monday. “That guy would cut us off in like three seconds. We need to make sure we have data sovereignty in our hands.”

The Ontario government announced a new framework for data centres last week.

Under the framework, large data centres would be subject to a new electricity rate class, which would result in them facing higher bills than other industrial energy users.

Data centres would also have to “minimize environmental impacts” with preference being given to projects that utilize “closed-loop systems that use virtually no water during operation.”

In his remarks, Ford said data centres present a “historic opportunity” to bring in millions of dollars of new tax revenue “while safeguarding people’s information and keeping it out of the hands of President Trump.”

“These data centres should not just be allowed to come in. We shouldn’t be lobbying them to come in. We are in the driver’s seat, all of us,” he said. “They need our energy, they need the cool environment and most importantly they need the workforce so negotiate and negotiate hard, and ask them what are you going to do for our community because they are making billions.”

A number of groups have raised concerns about data centres, and the amount of electricity and water the facilities use.

Ford said on Monday that the province will not offer financial incentives to attract new data centres and will “choose only the best projects.”

Ontario is already home to about 100 AI data centres as of 2025, according to documents included in the province’s most recent budget.

“Ontario has a choice. We can build the economy of the future and ensure Canadians’ data remains in Canada or we can get left behind and risk Canadians’ data being sent to the U.S. and into the hands of President Trump,” he said.

Ford’s speech on Monday came ahead of new threatened U.S. tariffs of up to 50 per cent on a wide list of Canadian goods that are set to take effect on Aug. 19.

Addressing that threat, Ford said that Ontario “will be prepared for any and every scenario.”

Ford, however, did not say what measures the province might take in response to the new tariffs.

“This is why I have been pushing so hard for a united team Canada response to this attack on Canadian workers, on Canadian sovereignty and on Canadian communities. We need to stick together,” he said.