The TTC says its new Scarborough Busway is on track to open Sept. 30, more than six months earlier than originally projected.
Speaking to reporters on Thursday, TTC CEO Mandeep S. Lali said the project is expected to save riders up to seven minutes on their commute.
“We are on track to open the Scarborough Busway on September 30, more than six months earlier than originally projected,” Lali said.
The four-kilometre busway will provide a dedicated transit connection between Kennedy Station and Scarborough Centre Station, replacing part of the former Line 3 corridor.
The TTC expects trips between Kennedy and Scarborough Centre stations to take about 15 minutes once the busway opens. Mayor Olivia Chow says that she expects more than 118,000 riders each week.
In a news release, officials say the route will include stops at Tara Avenue and Mooregate Avenue, Lawrence East Station and Ellesmere Station before buses continue along Ellesmere’s priority lanes towards Scarborough Town Centre.
In addition, officials say multiple TTC bus routes will use the busway with “frequent express service” to accommodate demand previously served by Line 3 trains.
Full testing is expected to begin in early September.
Once ready, the TTC predicts trips between Kennedy Station and Scarborough Centre Station to take roughly 15 minutes.



