Former Toronto city councillor Mary Fragedakis has confirmed that she will run in Toronto-Danforth, hours ahead of the deadline for municipal election candidates to submit their nomination papers.
Fragedakis represented Toronto-Danforth for eight years but lost to Paula Fletcher in the 2018 election after the Ford government cut the number of council seats nearly in half, resulting in the merging of two smaller wards.
Fletcher had filed nomination papers to seek re-election in Toronto-Danforth on Monday but changed her mind two days later and said that she would retire instead.
Fletcher later endorsed TDSB trustee Sara Ehrhardt to succeed her in the ward.
Fragedakis, who has served as the executive director of the GreekTown on the Danforth BIA since 2019, filed her nomination papers at Toronto City Hall at around 11 a.m.
She told reporters that while she did not consider entering the race until Fletcher announced her retirement earlier this week, she views a return to Toronto City Hall as a “continuation” of the public service she has dedicated her life to since leaving elected office.
“I actually think I am in a better place eight years later to bring back something different to city hall. I think that is what the city needs right now: people with practical experience on how to execute the policies are passed in this place,” she said.
There are currently a total of eight candidates registered to run in Toronto-Danforth and it is one of several Toronto wards without an incumbent.
Candidates for mayor, city councillor or school trustee have until 2 p.m. to file their nomination papers with the city and typically there is a flurry of activity before the deadline passes.


