Police have made an arrest in connection with a hit-and-run at a streetcar stop near College Street and Spadina Avenue last weekend that left a 21-year-old man with critical injuries.

The victim, identified by friends and family as Essam Babu, was standing at the stop just before 2 a.m. on April 14 when he was hit by an SUV that mounted the curb and hit a glass TTC shelter.

He was rushed to hospital in life-threatening condition following the crash and his condition has not improved.

The SUV, meanwhile, fled the scene. Police later located it on a side street not far from the crash site, though its driver had remained outstanding.

“At the time (of the crash) there was lots of people in the area and there was also video. Our investigators have been working since then to try to identify the driver,” Const. David Hopkinson told CP24 on Friday morning. “They had identified the SUV, they were able to get in contact with the owner, they made arrangements for him to surrender to police, he has done so and he is now facing charges in connection with that incident.”

The suspect, who police have identified as 26-year-old Julian Clarke, faces one count of dangerous driving causing bodily harm and one count of leaving the scene of an accident causing bodily harm.

Speaking to CTV News Toronto on Friday night, Nabil Babu, Essam Babu's brother, said he is not angry at the man who is alleged to have severely wounded his brother.

“I feel like me being angry in this situation won’t help anything. I just need to take care of my brother. I don’t have time for anger," he said.

Nabil Babu said his brother is currently studying computer science and cognitive science at the University of Toronto.

“I’ve always known him to get straight As. He’s gotten better grades than me and I’ve always been very, very proud of him for that,” he said. “My brother is a good guy. He is a very caring and genuine person. He will tell you the truth, even if you don’t want to hear it.”

Police said Clarke appeared in court at Old City Hall on Friday morning and is scheduled to return to court on Tuesday.