A 19-year-old man is facing a charge in connection with the hit-and-run crash that killed an Ottawa crossing guard.
The Ottawa Police Service confirms to CTV News Ottawa the man, Xzander Wright, has been charged with accident resulting in death. According to the Criminal Code of Canada, accident resulting in death 320.16 (3) is failure to stop after an accident resulting in A death.
“The investigation remains ongoing,” police said.
Wright appeared in court Wednesday afternoon, and is scheduled to return in court on Friday.
The crossing guard, 55-year-old Peter Clark, was struck by a vehicle while working at the intersection of Cedarview Road and Kennevale Drive at around 8:20 a.m. Monday. Police said the driver of the pickup truck fled the scene.
Police said on Tuesday that a man had been arrested as part of the investigation.

Clark’s death has sparked an outpouring of grief and emotion across Ottawa, with flags flying at half-mast at all City of Ottawa facilities.
Prime Minister Mark Carney said on X, “My thoughts are with the family and friends of Peter Clark, a crossing guard and beloved member of our community in Nepean who was killed in a hit-and-run.”

Mayor Mark Sutcliffe said the loss of Clark is “being felt deeply across the city.”
“This should never have happened to someone who was working to keep children safe,” Sutcliffe said on social media.
“Flags at all City of Ottawa facilities will be lowered to half-mast until the day of his funeral in honour of Peter’s life and his service to our community.”

On Wednesday, Sutcliffe said that he spoke with Clark’s widow, Amanda.
“I shared my deepest condolences on behalf of my family and all the residents of Ottawa,” he wrote in a post on X.
“Hearing Amanda speak about Peter was very touching. She told me how much he enjoyed his work and seeing people every day: “He loved everybody.” I told Amanda that the whole community grieves with her and that we are all here to support her family.”


