Canada

Another teen charged in planned fight involving machete near Barrie high school, police say

Published: 

Police say another teen has been arrested and charged after a pre-arranged fight involving a machete broke out near Bear Creek Secondary School.

Police say another teen has been arrested and charged after a pre-arranged fight involving a machete broke out near Bear Creek Secondary School earlier this week.

On Thursday, just a few days after the incident, Barrie police took a 15-year-old into custody.

Officers say they went to the boy’s home in south-end Barrie, where they arrested him and found evidence connecting him to the afternoon altercation recorded entirely on video.

“We allege it’s the male that was using the weapon during the altercation,” says Barrie Police Sergeant Aaron Geertsema to CTV News.

The 15-year-old now faces multiple charges, including carrying a concealed weapon, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, two counts of assault with a weapon, assault causing bodily harm and disguise with intent.

He was released from custody to a surety who pledged $1,000.

According to court documents, the teen is not permitted to attend Bear Creek Secondary School and was placed on curfew. He is also barred from communicating with three others and possessing weapons.

He is scheduled to return to court in May.

Charges A video circulating online shows a fight involving multiple masked teens near Bear Creek Secondary School located on Red Oak Drive in Barrie, Ont., on April 7, 2026. (Supplied)

Afternoon altercation turns violent

These charges stem from an altercation that erupted on Tues., April 7, when police responded to reports of a fight near Bear Creek Secondary School.

Staff told officers that a group of masked suspects had gathered near school property. Investigators say several of them met in a wooded area, where it all happened, but left before police arrived.

Video obtained by CTV News of the incident shows a person swinging a machete at other people involved in the fight. Police say the weapon never came out of its sheath.

A 17-year-old boy was identified as the victim and suffered minor injuries.

“Increasingly things get posted on social media,” says Geertsema. “Obviously we review those items and take them into account. We look into the totality of everything that’s involved.”

Geertsema highlights that the police analyze video footage alongside all relevant facts pertaining to the situation.

“Short video clips don’t give you the context of what’s actually happening or what’s led up to an incident,” he says.

First arrest made Tuesday

Police first arrested a 15-year-old Barrie boy Tuesday and charged him with assault.

Officers say the incident is isolated and there is no ongoing risk to public safety.

Under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, police cannot release the identities of the two accused. The allegations against both teens have not been tested in court.

Bear Creek Secondary School released a letter to parents on Friday afternoon that stated the following:

“Earlier this week, we shared communication with families about a physical altercation outside of the school. Since that time, Barrie police have shared further details about their investigation with the public:

‘It has been identified that this incident involved students from a number of area schools. The Simcoe County District School Board (SCDSB) students that were involved have received appropriate consequences as a result of their actions, consistent with expectations outlined in the SCDSB Code of Conduct.'"

The investigation remains ongoing.

Machete A video circulating online shows a fight involving multiple masked teens near Bear Creek Secondary School located on Red Oak Drive in Barrie, Ont., on April 7, 2026. (Supplied)