Activists say a facility in Fort Macleod, once known as Canada’s largest horse slaughterhouse, has closed its doors.
The Canadian Horse Defence Coalition confirmed earlier this month that Bouvry Exports Ltd.’s plant in the southern Alberta community shut down operations.
“This news comes after months of speculation, with horse rescuers reporting empty pens and very little activity at the plant,” the group said in a Facebook post on May 4.
- Sign up for breaking news alerts from CTV News, right at your fingertips
- The information you need to know, sent directly to you: Download the CTV News App
The company faced decades of international scrutiny over animal cruelty allegations and was convicted last year for causing animals to suffer as well as various transport violations.
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency laid 11 charges against Bouvry in 2023.
On Jan. 6, 2025, Bouvry Exports Calgary Ltd. was fined $17,000 for contravening the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations by failing to implement their preventative control plan.
The coalition says while the plant is closed, the fight isn’t over.
“There is still work to be done! Horses across Canada and from the U.S. will continue to be transported to Quebec for slaughter. This industry, as well as the live exports of draft horses to Japan for slaughter, must end completely.”


