Canada

‘Putting down roots’: How will Prince Harry and Meghan navigate a move back to the U.K.?

Published: 

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have announced that they will be moving back to the U.K. after stepping back from royal life in 2020.

Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, have decided to return to the United Kingdom six years after they gave up their royal duties and moved to California.

CTV News royal commentator Afua Hagan called it a “significant” move from the Duke and Duchess.

“That’s not the actions of a family that, perhaps, will be going back and forth between here and California,” Hagan said in an interview with CTV National News chief news anchor and senior editor Omar Sachedina.

“They are clearly putting down roots.”

Hagan, who herself is based out of the United Kingdom, said it was huge news when the family announced they would visit the U.K. this summer.

Hagan went on to say that although the couple will continue to keep their homes in Montecito, Calif., and Portugal, this indicates they’re choosing the U.K. as a base.

Royal couple’s children enrolled in U.K. schools: reports

The U.K.’s Daily Telegraph first broke the news Wednesday, followed by reports from multiple outlets.

The couple is planning to move with their two children – Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5 – in tow for an indefinite period. The children have already been enrolled at schools in the U.K. for the start of the school year in early September, according to reports.

However, the couple will not be living in a royal residence located outside London, and their status will remain unchanged, The Telegraph reported. They will remain non-working royals, as was agreed upon with the late Queen Elizabeth ​II when they left in March of 2020.

King Charles III first got the news on Sunday, meaning this move had not been discussed during the couple’s visit to the U.K. in July, the reports said, adding that he “welcomes the opportunity to see more of the family in a personal capacity.”

Harry has travelled to the U.K. several times throughout the years, including for the funeral of his grandmother Queen Elizabeth II in 2022 and the coronation of his father in 2023. During his last trip in September, Harry met the King in-person for the first time in 19 months.

Move could be difficult to navigate: Hagan

The move comes following Harry, Elton John and five other U.K. figures losing a privacy lawsuit against the Daily Mail’s publisher for allegedly gathering information unlawfully, according to a ruling by London’s High Court.

The 11-week trial ending with a written judgement that said the “claimants failed to prove their pleaded allegations... the claims are therefore dismissed,” after which Associated’s lawyer Antony White claimed that Harry’s statement following the ruling was an abuse of his position and status, AFP reported.

“It was entirely inappropriate and unreasonable,” White said. Meanwhile, Associated said it was seeking an interim payment of £10 million in legal bills (nearly C$19 million).

Hagan noted that this move could be difficult for the couple to “navigate,” following the ordeal with the lawsuit.

“Harry lost his latest case against the Daily Mail and their publishers just last month, and of course, he has had that very difficult relationship with the tabloid press. But the tabloid press are going to absolutely love this story,” she said.

“So, I think it’s going to be interesting to see how they navigate having to deal with them literally on the front lines back in the U.K.”