CP24 - Toronto News | Breaking News Headlines | Weather, Traffic, Sports
Men convicted in Toronto sexual assault saw women as 'disposable,' judge writes
Enzo De Jesus Carrasco and Gavin MacMillan are shown. (Toronto Police Service handout)
The Canadian Press
Published Thursday, June 4, 2020 8:10AM EDT
TORONTO - A Toronto judge says a former bar owner and his manager who were convicted in a violent, hours-long sexual assault saw women as "disposable instruments" for their sexual gratification.
Ontario Superior Court Justice Michael Dambrot has released his full written reasons for sentencing Gavin MacMillan and Enzo DeJesus Carrasco to nine years behind bars in connection with the 2016 attack.
In the document issued last week, the judge rejected submissions that the incident was out of character for the two men.
He said while the pair may have presented themselves as respectful in most circumstances, their actions showed a deep sense of entitlement with regard to women and profound disrespect for the personal integrity of the complainant.
MacMillan and Carrasco were each found guilty last November of gang sexual assault and administering a stupefying or overpowering drug with intent to assist themselves to commit the indictable offence of sexual assault.
Jurors were unable to reach a verdict on two other counts, one of which was unlawful confinement. They also acquitted Carrasco on one additional count of sexual assault.