Premier Doug Ford's constituency office closed after staff members test positive for COVID-19
Published Friday, October 30, 2020 10:56AM EDT
Last Updated Friday, October 30, 2020 2:02PM EDT
Premier Doug Ford's constituency office is closed for "the foreseeable future" after staff members tested positive for COVID-19.
In a statement released Friday, the premier's office said Toronto Public Health has confirmed cases among staff members at his Etobicoke North office, located on Albion Road near Islington Avenue.
Ford’s office noted that the premier has not visited the building in the past two weeks and therefore has had no exposure.
"To allow for a deep cleaning, the office will be closed for the foreseeable future as services and support continues to be offered virtually," the statement read.
"We thank the Premier’s constituents for their patience.”
During a news conference on Friday afternoon, Premier Doug Ford confirmed that three staff members tested positive for COVID-19 at his constituency office.
"The outbreak took place probably a few days ago," he said. "They’ve locked down the office. We’re still taking calls. They are doing OK. That’s the most important thing," he said.
"A lot of MPPs, and I have no problem with that, kept their doors locked. We took a different approach. We kept them open. So we had a few visitors come in and that’s where they believe they contacted COVID."
Earlier this week, Toronto Public Health released data showing that three wards in the city’s northwest, including Ford's riding of Etobicoke North, account for almost one quarter of the city’s recent COVID-19 cases.
-With files from CTV Toronto’s Colin D’Mello