Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says she’s directed officials to summon Israel’s ambassador to Canada over the treatment of dozens of civilians aboard the Global Sumud Flotilla, which was detained by Israel on Monday.
According to Global Sumud Canada, 12 Canadian activists aboard the flotilla, which was attempting to challenge the naval blockade of Gaza, were also detained.
In a video posted to social media by Israeli National Security Minister Itmar Ben-Gvir, someone can be heard chanting “free, free Palestine,” before being pushed to the ground by security personnel.

The video also shows dozens of people with their hands bound behind their backs and their faces pressed to the floor.
“What we’ve seen, including the video shared by Ben-Gvir, is deeply troubling and absolutely unacceptable,” Anand told reporters on a video call Wednesday from her trip to Estonia. “Canada has already imposed strict sanctions on Ben-Gvir, including asset freezes and a travel ban in response to his repeated incitement of violence.”
“The protection of civilians and respect for human dignity must be upheld at all times,” Anand added.
Asked about the detained Canadians, Anand said in French she does not have any further information at this time, but that the federal government is acting with “urgency.”
In a post to social media Wednesday, Prime Minister Mark Carney echoed Anand’s comments, pointing to the “abominable treatment of civilians aboard the flotilla,” and calling it “unacceptable.”
He said Anand’s summons of Israel’s Ambassador to Canada, Iddo Moed, is to “demand assurances regarding the safety and security of Canadians involved.”
Flotilla organizers say their goal was to deliver aid to the Palestinian people and break what they call an illegal siege on the territory.
The Global Sumud Flotilla group says most of the Canadian participants had previously agreed to stage a hunger strike if detained by Israeli forces.
Al Jazeera is reporting France and Italy have also summoned their Israeli ambassadors over the treatment of civilians shown in the video posted by Ben-Gvir.
With files from CTV News’ Rachel Hanes and Mike Le Couteur

