At least two other suspects sought in Bosma murder investigation
Sandie Benitah and Chris Fox, cp24.com
Published Tuesday, May 14, 2013 8:41AM EDT
Last Updated Tuesday, May 14, 2013 11:10PM EDT
At least two other suspects are being sought in connection with the kidnapping and death of Ancaster man Tim Bosma, police said Tuesday afternoon.
Meanwhile, the man currently in custody in the case will face an additional charge of first-degree murder when he makes a court appearance tomorrow.
Earlier Tuesday, Hamilton police announced they had recovered charred human remains they believe belong to Bosma.
“An investigation has now revealed Tim Bosma has been murdered. His body was burned beyond recognition,” Det.-Sgt. Matt Kavanagh said during the afternoon news conference.
Kavanagh wouldn’t say how police were able to confirm the identity of the remains, saying “that’s part of the evidence.” He said from the evidence police had gathered, he believes Bosma died the night he left his home.
Bosma, a married father of a two-year-old daughter, had been missing since last Monday night when he left his home with two men who showed up to test drive his black 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 at around 9:20 p.m.
Kavanagh said they were able to retrieve video surveillance which shows a second vehicle followed the three men in the truck as it left the residence.
Police are still trying to confirm the type of vehicle it was and how many suspects may have been in that second car.
Kavanagh said about 120 police officers are working diligently on the case, executing a number of search warrants in their quest for clues on the identity of the suspects and a possible motive in the case.
At this point, although investigators believe Bosma was targeted by the men, they are still unclear of the suspects’ reason for the attack.
Bosma had no criminal record and there is nothing to indicate he was anything other than a loving family man who attended church regularly.
“Our heartfelt condolences go to (Bosma’s wife) Sharlene and the entire Bosma family as they mourn their loss,” Hamilton Police Chief Glenn De Caire told reporters Tuesday morning. “We will continue to follow every single lead and we will work to affect the arrest of those responsible for the death of Tim Bosma.”
Peter Lowe, a high school friend of Bosma who created an official page on Facebook to help spread public awareness on his friend’s disappearance posted a message of grief on the social media site.
“The agony in this house is indescribable,” he wrote Tuesday morning. “There will be no further updates on this page. My prayers are with this wonderful family.”
Bosma’s friends and family have spent the week gathered inside and outside the home, handing out flyers to the community pleading anyone with information to call police with tips.
Bosma’s wife sobbed as she read out a statement to reporters late last week when she begged those responsible to let her husband go.
“It’s just a truck. You don’t need him but I do and our daughter needs her daddy back so please, please let him come home,” she said Thursday.
Property connected to suspect
The news of Bosma’s death came as investigators scoured a plot of farmland near Cambridge owned by the suspect charged in connection with the case.
Officers set up a tent at a property off Roseville Road, which runs between the city of Cambridge and the village of Roseville, early Tuesday morning.
Police would not say if that is where Bosma’s remains were found.
Records confirm that the property was purchased by Dellen Millard in 2011 at a cost of $835,000.There are no mortgages or liens on the property, indicating that it was paid for with cash.
Police also searched the Kleinburg home of Millard’s mother on Sunday, seizing Bosma’s truck.
Kavanagh dismissed speculation that the suspect's mother was involved in the crime.
“She has no involvement or knowledge of this case,” he said.
Forensic investigators have also been seen searching for evidence at a Waterloo air hangar owned by Millard’s family.
“Our investigation led to the identification of several locations related to the accused, authorized searches took place and evidence has been recovered,” De Caire said Tuesday. “We cannot discuss all the evidence given the ongoing criminal process.”
Suspect has ties to aviation industry
Millard, the 27-year-old CEO of Millard Air, has already been charged with forcible confinement and theft over $5,000 in connection with the disappearance of Bosma.
Both police and Millard’s lawyer confirm the suspect did not have a criminal record prior to these charges.
Speaking with reporters Monday, Millard’s lawyer Deepak Paradkar said his client is “100 per cent not guilty.”
“He is a very balanced young man, very humble, I had no idea who he was before this case,” Paradkar said. “We are concerned what the evidence is against him, we don’t know.”
Police have only released the description of one of the suspects still wanted in the case. This man was decribed by both Bosma’s wife and an Etobicoke man who was also reportedly approached by the suspects when he listed his Dodge Ram 3500 for sale. Kavanagh said last week that he believes the Etobicoke man wasn’t attacked because his large size would have made it difficult for the suspects to overpower him.
The suspect was described as being white with a medium build. He is around five-foot-nine with dark hair. He was wearing a red hooded sweatshirt that was pulled over his head.
“This investigation is long from over,” De Caire said. “We require more time as we work to pursue those responsible for Tim’s death.”
@SandieBenitah is on Twitter. Remember for instant breaking news follow @cp24 on Twitter.