Mayor's New Year's Day levee back on
Toronto City Hall is shown in this file photo. (The Canadian Press/Michelle Siu)
Chris Fox, cp24.com
Published Friday, December 21, 2012 9:27PM EST
Last Updated Friday, December 21, 2012 9:31PM EST
After much wavering it appears the mayor’s annual New Year’s Day levee is back on.
In an email to CP24 Friday night, mayor’s office spokesperson George Christopoulos confirmed that the event will go ahead as originally planned on January 1.
The event, which gives residents a chance to meet the mayor and other civic decision makers, has been a longstanding tradition at city hall since 1968, however earlier this month it was called off amid confusing circumstances.
First the mayor’s chief of staff Mark Towhey told the Toronto Sun that the levee was being scrapped due to scheduling issues and cost.
That prompted complaints from many residents, who claimed the $3,400 price tag was insufficient and not worth cancelling an annual tradition over.
Christopoulos then told CP24 that the city was simply looking for more “family friendly” options, and not savings.
Reacting to that news, the mayor’s councillor brother Doug Ford told CP24 that a skating party would be held at Nathan Phillips Square instead of the traditional levee.
The traditional levee, however, appears to be back on.
On Friday night Christopoulos did not provide CP24 with details about the event, but said a press release would be issued at an “appropriate time.”
Remember for instant breaking news follow @cp24 on Twitter.