Murder charges laid against teen in Danzig shootout
Published Friday, November 23, 2012 8:49AM EST
Last Updated Friday, November 23, 2012 4:31PM EST
Murder charges have been laid against a third person in the Danzig Street shootout, as Toronto police make progress in a wide and intricate investigation into the city’s worst mass shooting.
Police announced Friday that a 17-year-old male is facing two counts of second-degree murder in the mid-July shooting, becoming the third person to be charged.
The teen is also charged with attempted murder, recklessly discharging a firearm and 22 counts of aggravated assault, police said in a news release.
Speaking with reporters Friday afternoon, Staff Supt. Greg McLane said the teen is believed to be a member of the Malvern Crew street gang.
“He was in possession of a firearm and the allegations would indicate that he was responsible for some of the injuries on that day,” he said.
Police made the third arrest Thursday night, hours after they announced that two second-degree murder charges had been laid against 19-year-old Nahom Tsegazab.
Earlier this month, police charged Shaquan Mesquito with two counts of first-degree murder for his alleged role in the block party shootout, which killed 14-year-old Shyanne Charles and 23-year-old Joshua Yasay, and injured almost two dozen.
Police have previously said the shooting was the result of a dispute involving members of the rival Galloway Boys and Malvern Crew street gangs, but on Friday McLane declined to comment on the role each suspect may have played.
“I don’t want to discuss the roles of each of the accused in this event,” he said. “That will be something that will be fleshed out in court.”
Investigators believe there may be at least one additional suspect.
Detectives question man in composite sketch
Police have also made some progress in their attempt to identify two persons of interest after releasing composite sketches of two men earlier this month.
Investigators said one of the men has been identified and questioned, while the second man has been identified only as “Juvi.”
Police are still trying to identify and locate the second man for questioning, and they are asking anyone with information about the case to call detectives at 416-808-7394 or 416-808-7405, or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477).
@ChrisKitching is on Twitter. Don't forget, for instant breaking news, follow @CP24 on Twitter.