Drake tickets sell out in minutes as new album drops
Joshua Freeman, CP24.com
Published Friday, April 29, 2016 1:09PM EDT
It took less than half an hour for eager fans to snatch up all tickets to Drake’s Toronto concerts after they went on sale Friday morning.
The tickets went on sale at 10 a.m., but were sold out by about 10:20 a.m.
Drake is set to play back to back shows at the Air Canada Centre on July 31 and Aug. 1 as part of his “Summer Sixteen Tour.” The dates coincide with his annual OVO Fest music festival in Toronto.
Fans who couldn’t get tickets quickly took to social media to express their disappointment.
So Drake tickets are sold out...this makes me sad :/— Hair By Glenna (@HairByGlenna) April 29, 2016
Remember that time all your friends logged in at 10 am to buy @drake tickets and they were sold out already @razib84— alex (@alk_turner) April 29, 2016
*Lands a Drake ticket*— Puya (@pungz_) April 29, 2016
"look for better seats? Hmm why not"
*This event is sold out*
Not one of my brightest moments #neverseeingDrake
It’s not clear whether a new block of tickets will be released closer to the show.
In addition to launching ticket sales for his tour, Drake released his much-anticipated new album today. Titled “Views,” the album was previously thought to be called “Views from the 6ix,” a reference to Toronto’s “416” area code. Fans were surprised to see the change when the album was released, however the cover art nonetheless features Drake sitting atop the CN Tower.
On Sunday the local artist thrilled fans when he made a surprise appearance at a pop-up shop on Queen Street West where t-shirst were being given away to promote his new album.
The same day he tweeted a picture of the album cover with a message of gratitude to the people of Toronto.
“To the city I love and the people in it...Thank you for everything #VIEWS,” he wrote.
To the city I love and the people in it...Thank you for everything #VIEWS pic.twitter.com/HEXHNwrWwd— Drizzy (@Drake) April 25, 2016
More Music News
- Topless protester at Juno Awards pleads guilty to trespassing, agrees to pay fine
- St. John's was a 'safe' spot for Tina Turner, and Newfoundlanders remember her fondly
- Tributes for Tina Turner, the global music superstar, after her death at 83
- Tina Turner, 'Queen of Rock 'n' Roll', dies at 83
- Rapper Fetty Wap sentenced to 6 years in prison for drug-trafficking scheme
Top Entertainment News
- Dev Shah wins National Spelling Bee, going out on top after up-and-down spelling career
- Armie Hammer avoids charges after sex assault investigation, says 'name has been cleared'
- Jordan's crown prince weds scion of Saudi family in ceremony packed with stars and symbolism
- 'That '70s Show' star Danny Masterson faces 30 years to life after being convicted of 2 counts of rape
- At 83, Al Pacino is expecting his fourth child