Event cancellations and closures amid COVID-19 outbreak
Web Staff, CP24.com
Published Thursday, March 12, 2020 12:05PM EDT
Last Updated Tuesday, March 17, 2020 3:57PM EDT
The COVID-19 outbreak has forced many businesses to close and many events to be cancelled.
Here is a full list of everything affected:
- All tourist attractions
- All theatres
- All concert venues
- All restaurants and bars, except those that provide takeout or delivery options
- All casinos
- All major fitness centres, as well as most smaller gyms
- All organized public events of more than 50 people are prohibited, including parades
- Malls remain open but many companies have made independent decisions to close their stores until further notice
- Cadillac Fairview malls - Eaton Centre, Fairview Mall, Sherway Gardens, Shops at Don Mills: The company says effective on March 16, operating hours will be 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. It will remain in place for two weeks
- Yorkdale Mall: Regular shopping hours will remain. However, management says it is offering retailers an option to reduce their operating hours to 11 a.m.- 7 p.m. starting March 16.
- Square One Shopping Centre: The mall says that it will give its retailers the option to reduce their operating hours to 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. starting on Monday. The mall itself will remain open from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- All indoor recreation facilities
- All public libraries
- All childcare facilities
- All publicly funded Ontario schools will be closed from March 14 through April 5.
- All communal services within places of worship
- Toronto city hall and Metro Hall along with all of the city's civic centres
- The NBA has suspended its season
- Major League Soccer has suspended its season
- The NHL has put its season on pause
- The MLB has postponed the start of its season
- The English Premier League is suspending all matches
- The National Lacrosse League has suspended its season
- All March Madness games have been cancelled
- Ontario Superior Court of Justice says they are suspending operations
- Via Rail is suspending its long distance Eastern and Western routes -- The Canadian and The Ocean -- until March 27.
- The Ontario legislature
- The House of Commons and Senate are shutting down