Officials confirm eighth case of COVID-19 in Ontario
Joshua Freeman, CP24.com
Published Friday, February 28, 2020 11:17AM EST
Last Updated Saturday, February 29, 2020 3:31PM EST
Provincial health officials confirmed two new positive cases of COVID-19 in Toronto Friday, the seventh and eighth cases in Ontario.
On Friday evening, health officials announced that a man in his 80s with a travel history to Egypt presented himself at the emergency department of Scarborough Health Network's General Hospital on Thursday, more than week after arriving in Toronto.
"As per established infection prevention and control protocols, the patient was cared for at the hospital using all appropriate precautions, including being isolated as he was tested for COVID-19," health officials said in a statement. "The man was discharged home the same day feeling well and, per protocols, went into self-isolation where he remains."
The man wore a mask throughout his travels, health officials said.
Earlier in the day, officials said a man in his 50s with a travel history to Iran tested positive for the virus. He presented himself at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre on February 26, a day after arriving in Toronto.
“The established infection prevention and control protocols were initiated; the patient was cared for at the hospital using all appropriate precautions, including being isolated as he was being tested for COVID-19,” health officials said in a news release Friday.
He was cared for and sent home the same day. After leaving the hospital, he went into self-isolation, where he remains.
Toronto Public Health said they are “actively engaged” in tracing his contacts.
There are currently five confirmed active cases of the virus in Ontario. Three other people were infected, but have since recovered.
The risk of contracting the virus in Ontario remains low, according to provincial health officials.
Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. David Williams and Toronto’s Medical Officer of Health Dr. Eileen de Villa are scheduled to provide more information at a regular news conference on Monday.
News of the new cases comes the same day that Canadian e-commerce company Shopify announced that it is cancelled a planned Toronto conference in May over concerns about the virus.
BNN Bloomberg also reported Friday that Scotiabank has halted all non-essential travel for its thousands of employees amid fears over the spread of the virus.
World stocks have also tumbled in recent days over fears that the virus and efforts to contain it could have prolonged effects on the global economy.