Two more vendors shut down at CNE over food safety concerns
Joshua Freeman, CP24.com
Published Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:09PM EDT
Last Updated Wednesday, August 28, 2013 4:17PM EDT
Two food vendors at the Canadian National Exhibition will face charges after being shut down Tuesday for food infractions, Toronto Public Health said Wednesday.
Bourbon Street Grill and Bao 360 Shanghai Express – both operated by Innovated Restaurant Group in the CNE Food Building – were shut down on Tuesday, CNE officials announced earlier today.
“At these two vendors, the major issue was the handling of hazardous food such as meat, including chicken,” said Jim Chan of Toronto Public Health during an afternoon news conference.
Chan said public health officials will lay food safety charges relating to meat that was found to have been left out at room temperature at one of the vendors. The second vendor was shut down because they both share a kitchen.
He added that there are no known cases of illness associated with the two vendors and said Toronto Public Health is monitoring the disposal of all the meat from the two eateries.
Speaking alongside Chan, CNE General Manager David Bednar said both Bourbon Street Grill and Bao 360 Shanghai Express would not be allowed to reopen at the Ex for the remainder of the summer. Bednar also said the closures were in no way connected to the dozens of illnesses that resulted from people eating cronut burgers sold by Epic Burger and Waffles. At least 79 people had gastrointestinal symptoms after consuming the cronut burger.
“It has been over 40 years since we had an outbreak such as the Epic Burger incident, but about every other year, we close one of these booths,” Bednar said.
Bednar also reiterated he believes the CNE is the safest place to eat a meal in the Greater Toronto Area.
The news of the closures comes a day after Toronto Public Health held a news conference and said it was safe for people to eat at the CNE.
“We feel quite confident that… the public can eat safely both at Epic Burger and Waffles and at the CNE,” Dr. Lisa Berger told reporters Tuesday.
She made the comment after announcing that the vendor who sold the infamous cronut burger had been allowed to reopen after the source of the contamination was identified as the maple bacon jam provided for the treat by Le Dolci.
Berger said public health officials are now working with Le Dolci to determine how the jam became contaminated. The bakery has voluntarily shut down for the time being.
As of Tuesday, 223 people had reported being sick after eating at the CNE, Berger said.
Chan says TPH has inspected over 360 establishments at the CNE since opening day. Of those, they have issued 31 conditional passes and issued two closures.